August 8, 2014
We have been nominated for the Liebster Award! Awww I’m touched. For anyone who doesn’t know what it is, the Liebster Award isn’t really an award. It is structured game to connect to other bloggers and get to know each other. There have been various games like this when I started to blog 10 years ago, so I am kind-of psyched for some old school Q&A. I was tagged by Jamie from Cute Peach (whose new layout ROCKS!)
So what are the rules?
- List 11 facts about yourself
- Answer the 11 questions asked by whoever nominated you
- Nominate 5-11 bloggers* with less than 200 followers (excluding the blog who nominated you)
- Ask 11 new questions for your chosen nominees
* I have seen this number be 11 (you know, 11 facts, 11 questions, 11 bloggers) but I was tagged with the rules being 5 so I am sticking to that.
11 Facts About Me
- I did color guard for one year in high school.
- I was in a music video for a band, I was just an extra though. (I have the short hair, blue shirt, and plaid pleated skirt for anyone who wants to look for me)
- I interned for Fox 29, the Philadelphia affiliate for the Fox network.
- My prom dresses were both sewn and designed by me.
- I built a cardboard car in college.
- I’ve been to only two countries, the United States and Canada
- At my jobs I have served Bruce Springsteen, Joe Flacco, and a bunch of Flyer players, whom I don’t know who they are but are famous.
- I really really love ice cream.
- I have been to three different Gwar concerts.
- I graduated from the University of the Arts in 2009 with a major in Finger Painting (just kidding it was in Video)
- I’m the youngest in my family.
How did you get into blogging and why do you like it?
I did it originally in high school. I remember starting out with a hosted blogs, sometimes updating manually, sometimes using blogger. I eventually made the switch to LiveJournal since it was easier to follow friends. But I dropped out of blogging for a long time, until recently. I found myself reading a bunch of fashion and food blogs and thought, why not?
What is your favorite book or book genre? Do you judge a book by its cover?
I think I judge covers in two ways. One is if the cover looks like a specific genre. I don’t think certain genres are bad, but when I look at a cover and it screams “historical fiction” or “horror” it puts me off. It isn’t that I won’t read them, I just feel like the publishers are trying too hard to sell a genre over the story. Then it comes off that the publishers don’t think anyone would like the book unless they love that genre.
I also hate covers with movies posters on them. I remember searching around nonstop to find a certain pressing of Raise the Red Lantern just because I wanted the cover with the lanterns on it instead of Gong Li sitting. I know it is suppose to help sell both the book AND the movie, but I am sorry I am READING the book, let it stand by itself.
What kind of music do you like?
Kind-of funny that Jamie asked this question since she knows my choice in music is ALL over the place. But I will summerize mentioning the two concerts I REALLY want to go to (but don’t have too much money) Perfume and Blonde Redhead. I definitely don’t have the money for Perfume, but possibly for Blonde Redhead… You can check out my last fm profile to see my top tracks, though my plays don’t always get tracked.
What are some of your other hobbies?
I went to art school so I use to make a lot of things. I’ve kind-of stopped and I wish I haven’t. Adult life have really blocked my creative juices. I use to paint, sew, film, photograph, block print, anything I could think of. Lately I’ve been keeping up with some photography, and I want to start sewing again.
Do you have any fears or phobias?
Getting too old and getting Alzheimer’s or going into a vegetative state. I am a very proactive person, and I can barely sit still when I am sick. So the idea that I would forget who I am, or can’t do basic everyday functions freaks me out. Not only would I feel trapped, I would know it would really hurt people who love me.
What is your favorite season of the year?
Fall. It is the best since you get to cuddle with a blanket at night, but it is still warm enough for long walks outside. It is also my favorite weather to go running in, breathing is super easy and sweating is minimal.
Are there any foods that you absolutely don’t like?
Steak. I can’t stand steak cooked in one big piece (like a steak house with potatoes)
What is the most interesting or delicious thing you’ve ever eaten?
Hmm… not sure how to answer this one. I am pretty game to eating anything. Heck I would break my ethical eating to try something new ONCE. But I think the most interesting thing for most westerners would be natto. It is soybeans that are molded and are slimy. They stink and are stretchy like melted cheese. Weirdly I love eating them and will occasionally buy them frozen from Asian food markets.
Most delicious thing? Would probably be from Franklin Fountain. I would visit when the owners would still work the counters. They were awesome because you could go in and say “I want a pumpkin milkshake.” Then the owner would chime in a say “Oh add some malt, and walnuts, and a little caramel swirl!” and it would be brilliant. So a Caramal Swirled Malted Pumpkin Milkshake is the most delicious thing I’ve ever eaten. Best thing? They now sell vegan pumpkin ice cream and vegan caramel so I can almost recreate that milkshake again this fall.
If you could travel to any country in the world (either to live or to visit) where would you go and why?
I would live in Portland Maine. I visited the city for my honeymoon and I thought “I could live here.” I love mild summers and lots of snow. There is also a great local food movement in the area, which gave me lots of eating options. If I could visit anywhere it would be Korea or Japan. They are awesome countries, with lots of food that I want to try.
If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
I would want everyone to be more responsible. I wish people read more, kept learning, were more aware of how to preserve the earth, and ate a little less meat. I know everyone thinks differently, or have different priorities so it isn’t like I want everyone to be just like me. Then life would be boring.
Alexa from One Raw Bite Okay this might be cheating but I wanted my co-blogger to also answer some questions! (no need to nominate someone bbcakes!)
Jenny from She Loves Dresses I’ve been stalking Jenny on Instagram and she just opened up her blog. She has such a cute wardrobe and wears vintage in a refreshingly different way.
Ursula from Ursula Goes She feeds my love of outdoors. Her blog features some cute photos from her hikes and trips.
Katie from Buddle and Squeak I love Katie’s positivity and feminist posts. She has such a cute and quirky sense of style.
Allison from The Mantis Princess I started to follow this blog right when she started it! She has super cute hair and glasses.
Miss Lixxie Lou from Miss Lixxie Lou Another instagramer I’ve been following who just opened up a blog! She also wear vintage styled clothing but in a very different way from Jenny (She Loves Dresses)
11 Questions for the Nominees
- What is your favorite food: One savory, one sweet?
- How would your describe your fashion sense?
- Which do you prefer dresses or skirts? (or pants or shorts?)
- Where are you from, and where is the furthest you’ve traveled from there?
- What would your consider the best day off?
- How do you take your coffee?
- Do you have any pets? Who are they?
- Are you more likely to watch TV shows or Movies?
- If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- If money didn’t matter, what would you be doing with your life?
- Other than what you feature in your blog, what are your other hobbies?