Hello everyone! Co-Blogger and Partner-in-Crime Jenny had nominated me for the Liebster Award and I couldn’t be more excited! Jenny made her Liebster Award post here a little while ago – but for those of you who didn’t get to see it, I will break down the rules nice and simple for ya.
- List 11 facts about yourself
- Answer the 11 questions given to you by whoever nominated you.
- Nominate 5-11 bloggers with LESS than 200 followers.
- Give 11 new questions to your nominees. Now, I don’t know too many bloggers outside of Jenny – but I do know a few. So hopefully they will be able to answer my questions when I get finished with this.
11 Facts About Meow
1. I am a Cartoonist & Illustrator while also working as a manager at my local Toy Store.
2. I didn’t really like beer until I started dating Mr. Ian, now I like it way more than mixed drinks.
3. My parents are both divorced and re-married, making my family tree somewhat difficult for new friends to understand. But I wouldn’t have it any other way.
4. I have recently had to remove most dairy from my diet, but the one thing I will ALWAYS cave for is ice cream…tummy aches here I come!!
5. I stopped eating any sort of cow-related-meat in 8th grade when I realized that I just love cows way too much.
6. I first thought that I wanted to pursue a career in animation, but saw just how much work was needed to be able to pull it off correctly and knew I wouldn’t have the drive. I respect animators so much! I then thought I wanted to draw for Marvel or DC Comics, in the same style and everything. Once I realized that I simply can’t re-create those looks in my work I also came to find that I wouldn’t like working for either company as much as I thought (still love a bunch of the people who DO work there though!!).
7. I got my cat Miso for my 16th birthday and she has since become my cat-baby. Best birthday gift ever!
8. My favorite mediums to work with (on my artistic projects) are colored pencil to sketch and watercolor or gouache to paint.
9. There are SO many different tattoos that I would like to end up getting in the future, I am just too poor right now. They include outlines of the silhouettes of my 3 house cats on my right arm, Blaze’s halter and lead rope on the opposite arm, a friendship tattoo with Jenny, and a giraffe on my back.
10. Mr. Ian and I have officially been together for 5 years! Go us!
11. My favorite color is red, my favorite color combos are black & white (so classy!) and pastel pink, lavender and mint green (so cute!).
1.What is your favorite food: One savory, one sweet?
Ugh this is such a difficult question to answer. As you all may know…I really love food. I write on a blog that’s *all about (*mostly about) food! If I were to pick a savory it would probably be curry or some Korean hot pot. Sweet is absolutely ice cream. Too bad it makes my body want to reject me!
2.How would your describe your fashion sense?
Another interesting question! My style varies I think. The two major ways I would identify it are “cute” which consists of mostly dresses and skirts or “that punk kid”, in which I wear my doc marten’s and look like a St. Mark’s Place reject. I have also recently been interested in dressing like Hannah Hart from My Drunk Kitchen, not that I have gotten that accomplished or anything. I just think the way she dresses is really snazzy and adorable all at once and it makes me super jealous/swoon. So if I had to describe my fashion sense it would probably look like this:
3.Which do you prefer dresses or skirts? (or pants or shorts?)
Pants are oppressive. The only good kind of pants are comfy pants (aka pajamas). Sometimes I’ll make an acception if a pair of pants makes my booty look rockin’. So pants are definitely out! In any other case, I would have to say that I prefer dresses. I think it’s because I always buy skirts with every intention of wearing them only to realize that I don’t ever have a top to go with it. Or I end up feeling as if they hit me in a strange spot at my waist. Dresses are all one piece and I generally know which cuts fit me best, and they can have such a wide variety between casual and dressy! I also love the easiness of throwing on a dress and having the challenge be in the accessorizing. If I have to pick several pieces for my wardrobe and THEN worry about what everything else looks like, it’s a recipe for disaster.
4.Where are you from, and where is the furthest you’ve traveled from there?
I am from Rumson, NJ…and the furthest I have ever travelled from here is California! I need to get out more!
5.What would your consider the best day off?
This is really a toss-up. I love having lazy days off, while I also love going on adventures. So maybe combining the two? If I get to sleep until at least 9am I am a happy camper. I also love going out for breakfast! As long as those two things are included then the day should be pretty great from the get-go.
6.How do you take your coffee?
Up until recently I either took my coffee with milk or cream and sugar. I then switched over to having Raw sugar once I went to Rook and was suggested that for flavoring. Since I have removed dairy from my diet for the most part I try to have either almond or soy milk in my coffee – and sometimes I forego it completely. Recently I have been taking it black. I enjoy the flavor and the bitterness that comes with it even though I never thought I would! So really this was a complex question without trying to be.
7.Do you have any pets? Who are they?
I currently have 5 dogs and 3 cats! The dogs(listed from oldest to youngest) Jesse, Wyatte, Annie, Buddy and Dillon all live with my Step-Mom and my Dad up in Portland, Maine. The three kitties (again from oldest to youngest) Sam, Miso and Gizmo live at home with my Mom, Step-Dad and myself. Miso is my cat-baby, if anyone needed to know.
8.Are you more likely to watch TV shows or Movies?
I love watching both television AND movies. I think I am more likely to watch shows though. I can leave shows on while I work and I feel like on a well paced show you can dive right into what’s happening and watch the world expand over a few seasons. A good example would be Game of Thrones or Doctor Who. While I loved the movie Scott Pilgrim VS The World I actually thought it could have also done really well by being converted into a mini series. Sometimes movies are just too jam-packed. I do enjoy watching movies a lot, though. Really good ones always stick with me forever. Again, another question that I have made a difficult answer for for no good reason!
9.If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go?
I have never been out of the United States – so that is where I would start. I am very interested in visiting South Korea and Japan at some point in my life. I would also love to see Europe. Anywhere that is different from the US!
10.If money didn’t matter, what would you be doing with your life?
I would definitely be spending more time drawing my own projects (not that I don’t like working for other people) and playing with animals. By playing with I really mean that I would love to have a big plot of land where I could have room to adopt older or injured animals to give them a good life. It always makes me sad to see older animals up for adoption. If I had nothing holding me back I would want to take all of them home and show them how wonderful they all are. I think most people completely look them over because they would rather have a puppy or kitten (insert any young animal here). While getting animals when they are small is also a wonderful thing, there is just something so beautiful and touching about helping out the older ones. I also feel like many people think it would be a burden to take on an older pet. A lot of them have illnesses, dietary issues, or are just not as energetic as they used to be and I don’t think this makes them any less of a good companion. I feel like a lot of my bonding with Blaze ended up happening when she was older. I was either too nervous around her or in college, and I would really like to help make a difference or improvement in other animals’ lives before their time in this world is over.
I have also been thinking about how much I would love to have a themed coffee shop or bar, but those are complete and total pipe dreams!
11.Other than what you feature in your blog, what are your other hobbies?
I love playing all of the Pokémon games on my Nintendo DS, watching Wrestling (surprise!), petting animals (Miso included), trying new beer and drinking beer that I already know that I love, and keeping up with the various cartoons I have been watching. Oh yeah…and reading comics! I really just enjoy doing things. New experiences with loved ones keeps me going and inspire me.
Surprise! I know that Jenny mentioned me not having to nominate anyone, but I do have a few friends who are new to blogging or just so happen to have new blogs that go along with their other ones! So without further ado ~
Jordan from Fashion Grotto: I have known Jordan since middle school, and even though I haven’t seen her in a while I am still excited to nominate her! Her sense of fashion is very sharp! I have been checking out all of her outfit posts and personal shopping posts and I am loving them so far!
Kat from Bad Witch: Kat is a friend of mine that I met my freshman year of college. We were both working at the same comic shop in New York city at the time, but now she is studying costume design over in England! She’s a radical person who always has really great hair and great taste in Japanese (really, all) fashion.
Jenna from Maybe Lately: Jenna and I have actually known each other for quite some time! I haven’t seen her in a while, but her blog is lovely and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I read through it.
1. What got you into blogging?
2. Do you prefer Tea or Coffee and why?
3. Are you an early riser or a night owl?
4. What would be your dream vacation?
5. (If you have a smart phone) What is your favorite emoji and why?
6. What is your favorite genre of music? Favorite (currently) musical artist?
7. Favorite color?
8. If you could live anywhere in the world at this moment in time, where would it be?
9. Do you prefer baking or cooking?
10. What are your 5 favorite movies (no particular order or genre)?
11. What are your other hobbies besides blogging (stolen from Jenny!)?